Sunday, May 10, 2009

20 Day inspection

Time: 2:00 pm
Weather: sunny - no wind - mid 70s

Did a quick inspection today (mostly just to show the girls off to my sister, Amy). Decided to remove a couple bars to see how they were building their comb. They had done exactly as I had hoped. They had skipped over the half-width bar and built comb directly in the middle of the next bar. They had even started a small comb in the middle of the bar next to that. I didn't pull the bar in the back to see how there were doing there. The second bar had larva, pollen and honey. The third bar was mostly capped brood (very exciting).

I've been reading lots of posts on the biobees.com forum. Many suggested putting 1 inch (or so) strips of foundation into the top bar kerfs for the bees to use as guides for building their comb. Others us popsicle sticks or other strips of wood and coat them with wax. I've cut down a bunch of wooden strips for this purpose but have not had the time to install them.

The red lines represent where the girls had drawn out comb. The green lines represent where I had hoped they would draw out comb (and I was right).








No comments:

Post a Comment