Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bait Hive and Bee Tree

I placed a bate hive the other day in the vicinity of a bee tree. The tree is miles away from anything civilized. You wouldn't think it could even house a colony of bees by looking at it but they are there and have been for quite some time. The tree is perched on the edge of a rock outcropping several hundred feet from the bottom of the canyon. I could hear the buzz of the bees from the bottom of the canyon before I started my climb.


There was a lot of activity in front of the hive. There were many drones around the entrance and also on the ground below the tree. Many bees bringing in pollen.

Look at all those bees!

Drone


View from directly above (don't look down)

When I was approaching the tree, the breeze was in my face and I could smell the sweet smell of the colony from about 12 feet away. Most of the bees (all except for one, in fact) couldn't care less that I was there. The one was not menacing, only curious I think. buzzing around checking me out and then returning to the tree.

I placed the bait have a hundred or more feet away in another tree. It's concealed pretty well and I hope no one will bother it. It's also scented with a couple drops of lemon grass oil. It's got 10 bars in it with waxed comb guides.
You can't even see it can you?

My plan is to check it in a couple weeks to see what I've caught. And if nothing, then to add a couple more drops of lemon grass oil.

I someday want to spend time looking for other colonies in this canyon. I find it hard to believe that this is the only one. Especially since I know it's been there for years.



No comments:

Post a Comment