Wednesday, April 25, 2012

School presentation, observation hive, rustic hive, and a hive move

I did a presentation in my son's 2nd grade class today. They (including the teacher) were fascinated. They asked lots of questions (many about poop) and seemed to enjoy the presentation very much.
I had several pictures that we put up on the "smart board" (hive types, swarms, queens, gear, life cycle). I need to find more pictures for next time to help answer some of the questions (honey cells, pollen cells, eggs, stinger?, waggle dance, pollen).


I had built an observation hive over the winter out of an old fish tank. I designed the roof to support 2 bars from a top bar hive. I must have measured wrong as I was only able to fit 1 bar (still fascinating to 2nd graders). Now that I've used it I'll need to make some adjustments to it. I'd like to get 2 or 3 bars in there. I need to find a way to secure the lid. As it is, the entire lid can just lift off. Perhaps also a way to light up the comb. It's rather dark in the shadow of the roof.


I knocked together a 44 inch tob bar hive last night out of some old cedar fencing. Two and a half hours total (and that included disassembly of the fence. I still need to put some legs on it and devise some kind of a roof. I have plenty more fence boards. I also want to knock together some more bait hives.

I've heard of 3 swarms so far this year and it's still the middle of April. Crazy warm spring!

The idea for this hive is to put it up at the cabin in mountains. There are so many flowers up there. I've always wanted to see how much honey a hive could make in a season. I've wanted to taste it also. The rustic hive will blend well with the old cabin and out buildings. It should also not draw to much unwanted attention from the neighbors (fellow campers). I'll probably not overwinter it there, though I'm not sure. I put the entrances on the end. I also closed the bottom up and will fill the bottom 2 inches with sawdust/pine shavings. Some recent reading on the biobees.com forum suggests that humidity is better controlled without bottom ventilation. It also suggests that mights can not survive in a humid environment. Worth a try.




I used the rustic TBH hive to temporarily house the colony of bees from the Schampell TBH. I wanted to redo the screen on the bottom and I was moving it to the Patterson farm (4 miles away) tonight so it was a good time to get it done.

The bees had closed of (at least partially) all three entrance holes back at the start of winter with propolis. When I got a close look from the inside they have completely removed all propolis from 2 entrance holes but left the 3rd completely closed off. I figure they know what they want so I left it alone.



After getting the girls back in their box, with a shiny new screened bottom and a fancy hinged bottom board, I let them calm down until evening and with some help from Tim, I moved it to the Patterson farm. His peach trees are barely starting to bloom so the timing is good. I had noticed when moving the bars back and forth from the 2 hives that many of the empty bars I had placed between straight comb bars the other day had already had quite a bit of new comb drawn out. One of these combs fell during the hive move. I was being so careful too! I'll go inspect this hive in a few weeks to make sure they are doing good after the move. I'll remove the fallen comb then. They've been through a lot this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment