Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Queen cells

I inspected the Patterson hive today. The thing was packed! I removed 5 full bars of honey. I set aside 3 more that I wanted to take home after inspecting the rest of the hive. These 3 combs broke due to the heat and the wind. It was quite windy. I knew the girls didn't like the wind. I had not considered it's affect on heavy comb. It made me sick. I salvaged what I could. Made a hell of a mess. 

I opened the bottom of this hive as well.

While inspecting I found several queen cells. 2 of them were in the middle of the comb. 3 of them were on the edge of the comb. All were capped. I tried to cut one out but with disastrous results. I ended up mashing it. I'm not sure what these girls are planning. The cells in the middle imply that they are replacing their queen. The cells on the edge/bottom imply that they are readying for a swarm. 

I'll have to watch and see.





No comments:

Post a Comment