Monday, June 18, 2012

TBH Honey extraction.


I got this photo text yesterday from Troy. I've got a hive in his back yard.
BEES!!!!!

I've been meaning to go over to inspect this hive but haven't had a chance lately.
I decided I better have a look.
Today on lunch I made it over. I removed 5 full bars of honey.


There are at least 6 more honey bars that could come out but my bucket was getting full and the girls were getting upset. I was using a peacock feather to brush them from the comb and they got a little ornery. I took a sting to each arm before I put my long sleeves and gloves on. Then I took another sting on the leg. I spaced the honey combs out and left the empty bars between them. there are 12 brood bars. Tons of bees!
I'll go back in a week or so to harvest more. I also removed the bottom board off the hive. It hit 95 degrees yesterday. I'm sure that is why they were all hanging out outside the hive.

No comments:

Post a Comment