Monday, June 8, 2009

Feral Bees

When I was younger I remember hiking near a small waterfall in the mountains near my home. It's a short hike (but a long drive). I can't be certain exactly how long ago it was. I know for a fact that it was not in the last 12 years. Beyond that I can't be so sure. Most likely it was while I was still in high school or shortly after. So... roughly 20 years ago.

While hiking I stumbled upon a fallen hollow tree and noticed that honey bees were flying in and out of  the hollow. I remember watching it for a few minutes, fascinated by the fact that they were wild bees living in a hollow log. Miles from anywhere. Prior to this (and actually even since) I had never seen a wild colony of bees. My only experience was with the Langstroth hives my dad used to keep. I also didn't know back then that honey bees are not native to this continent.

Well, since taking up beekeeping again last year, I've been wanting to go back and see if I could locate that hollow log and see if there were still bees living in it. The desire became even stronger the more I studied natural beekeeping and the many problems that face the bees today.

Today I finally got my chance. I was worried about the weather. It was not ideal. Cloudy. Raining off and on. I was worried because I could not remember the exact location of the log and was hoping that I could rely on returning forager bees to help me find it. I was also unsure if the log would even still be there and if it was, would it still be suitable to host a colony of bees. My memory is hazy but it seems that the log was rather low to the ground and the hollow would be within easy reach of skunk, raccoon or even a bear (all common in the area). I knew though that if I didn't go today, it would be at least 3 weeks before I could get another chance.

We first hiked into the waterfall. Carrie and Jaden went with me that far. We took advantage of the scenery and took a few photos.

While taking photos, I noticed a dozen or so honey bees drinking from the side of the stream. I was very excited. They are still here! My wife tells me I was like a kid at Christmas.

It's late and I have to get to bed so I'll try to sum it up. I found the bees living in a Cedar tree a hundred feet or more above the waterfall. They are not in the hollow, fallen log like I remember but they are in the same general location. I could not even find the hollow log. I can not tell how big the cavity is inside the tree. There appears to be a split between where the two main branches fork and this is there the entrance is. The tree itself is hanging off the side of a rather small but steep cliff. It took a bit of work going up and around to where I could get to it. I was able to watch them for several minutes and even took some pictures and video. There were many foragers coming in. Many from the direction of the stream. Many had pollen and the pollen was all white. I even saw a drone hanging about the entrance. I was able to get my hand and camera to within a foot of the entrance and they didn't seem to even notice. Pics and video follow.

Notice the split between the branches.

You can see how steep the hill is.
The girls drinking. They're still here!

There's a couple of good looking bee hunters.

Coming and going. (and a drone)


View of tree and surrounding area.

It's time to make a bait hive!

No comments:

Post a Comment