Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Midnight Bees Transfer to permanent TBH



Time: 12:30
Weather: 90 degrees, sunny, no wind.

Transfered my midnight swarm on the Peczuh Farm from my swarm catching hive to a permanent TBH (42 inch).

Wasn't sure how they'd behave so I took my gear (just in case). Ended up not using it. Very gentle bees.

They had built 4 combs of wax already (in just four days) and were busy filling them with nectar and pollen.

Slightly cross combed with some attached to the end of the box. Collapsed one comb trying to straighten it. Moved the other three (on four bars) as one unit.
Placed top bars with 1 inch wooden comb guides (rubbed with bees wax) to either side of what they had built - hope this straightens them out. Combs are too new for much manipulation.

Dumped the rest of the bees in (along with dried mud and sand from the bottom of the swarm box (didn't have a proper bee brush). Note to self: Get a proper bee brush. Left way too many empty top bars between the follower boards as I could not get the bees I dumped to move out of the way to place the follower board where I wanted it. Hopefully in a couple of days I can remove them - tighten it up a bit.

Did not see the queen. Nor did I see any eggs.

Placed the new TBH about six feet further north with the entrances on the west (instead of the east)
This confused some of the foragers who returned to where the swarm catching hive used to be. They just started hanging out on the pallet where it had been sitting.

Checked back after work and all had found their way inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment