Friday, July 10, 2009

TBH comb guide

Time: 5:00
Temp: 90ish - breezy

Midnight bees (Peczuh farm)
The girls have started out slightly cross combing. 7 combs so far. Each starting in the center of one bar and finishing in the center of the next. I had bent the southern most comb in and smashed the follower board up against it on my last visit. They have allready started cleaning up the comb - removing parts of it to give themselves their required "bee space" at the end. The last bar on the north side is only about half drawn out. I have 3 empty bars on this end of the hive for them to build on (all with wooden waxed guides). I inserted a "divider" between the last partial comb and the blank bars to encourage straight comb. The "divider" is a sheet of aluminum cut to the size of the top bar and hanging about 4 inches into the hive. Hopefully this forces them to build on the next bar straight (even if it causes them to not completely draw out comb 7). I had read about an idea like this on biobees.com forum but I can't find the thread just now.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment