Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Update Schampel TBH

Time: 7:00 pm
Weather: perfect

Checked in on the hive this evening. The staples holding the plastic roof to the frame were coming out. Reattached it with 2 screws in each corner and by retapping the staples in place. The wind has been rather nasty lately (lost shingles off the garage too).

This hive is full!!! Also heavily propolised. She was glued together good. Even the follower boards were propolised in place.

On my last visit I had added 3 bars to the north end. This was the end that had the straightest comb so I thought I'd let them build out this way to encourage further straight comb. Wrong. On the 3 new bars they have drawn out comb at almost 90 degrees from the bars (and the rest of the comb). Decided not to break it all up at this point. I will have to address it later in the fall when it cools down or maybe in the spring so I can see how much they needed for winter and take the rest. I think it's all honey but I'm not sure as I wasn't able to get into it really.

The curved comb at the south end was very thick and full. I didn't measure it but I'm guessing it was at least 2 inches at the top. Mostly capped too. I added 5 bars on the south end to give them room to grow. Since its all going to be honey and will be removed in the spring, I'm not overly concerned with the curve of it. When I take the honey out in the spring, I'll replace the bars with some that have better guides for comb building.

Very docile bees. I love this hive. It's my favorite to work. Jaden was right there with me with bees flying in and out (before I opened it up. Tylor and John (renter) got right in the thick of it with me (no protection whatsover). We all got a good finger full of fresh honey that was exposed when I separated the bars on the south end.

No comments:

Post a Comment