Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bait Station Bees

Ok, so it's not a real bait station, but it worked the same.
I had some old frames with some crystalized honey in them. Not knowing how to get it out, and not wanting to throw it away, I set it out for the bees to clean up. It's still early spring and not much is blooming yet. I figured whatever bees were out and about might appreciate a little extra for their srping buildup.
I have no bees currently at my house (this will change Saturday!). I don't even know where the nearest hive/colony is. It didn't take long for these girls to find me.

There were many that were black. Not dark. Not mostly black. Black!

I watched where they were going after they got their fill and their colony is West/SouthWest from my house. There are some farms out that way and also some very large groups of cottonwood trees. I plan to beeline them one of these days to learn where they live. I've never seen such a dark bee. Beautiful!

I also have a couple bait hives set up in the yard. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll just move in!



No comments:

Post a Comment