Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Peczuh TBH cleanup

I had moved the TBH from the Peczuh farm to my house to clean it up. If I can get another swarm, I'll put it back out there. I've seen several scouts checking it out in the last couple days in the back yard. I took 2 bars of empty comb (relatively straight) and placed it in my bait/swarm catching hive. I cleaned up the rest of the comb leaving 4 semi straight comb and removing the rest to be melted down. Some of the comb had starved bees in them that I didn't want to mess with removing. Those combs were chucked. Cell size on most cells was 5mm (5 cells to an inch). The bees were still soft and pliable. They hadn't dried out (do bees get rigormortis?) yet. This makes me think that they had only just starved. I might have been able to save them even a week or two ago if I had known they were out of stores. Dead mites on the bottom board. A bit of mold on the bottom board also but none anywhere else in the hive. I've left 4 frames of comb and divided the hive into 2 separate spaces (2 combs in each). Going to leave it in the yard and use it as a bait hive for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment