Monday, May 14, 2012

Peach Tree Swarm Update

I inspected the hive on Saturday (2 days after hiving them).
They had built 3 partial combs. They weren't straight. One of them formed a T pattern. It started straight and then for no reason took a 90 degree turn in both directions.

I removed all comb and reattached it straight by pressing it firmly onto the comb guides.
I places aluminum plate dividers between the bars to encourage straight building.

I also spotted the queen. Beautiful, very light red color.

I inspected again on Monday (today) and found 3 mostly compete straight combs and 2 partial combs.
The bees were building in two parts of the hive. The middle part, where they had built before. I saw many eggs in this comb. They were also building comb several bars away near one of the ends. These bees were acting strange. Almost a queen-less buzz to them. I did worry the other day when I put the hive back together that she was too close to the follower board that I was moving. The eggs in the other part of the hive (new comb) prove that she is a live and well.

I left the dividers in for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment