Friday, May 11, 2012

Ultimate comb guide

So I had this wonderful idea. Perhaps the biggest challenge in top bar beekeeping is getting the girls to build straight comb. If we could give them a no brainer guide to build on, maybe cross combing would be a thing of the past. I've tried many types of comb guides. Waxed kerfs, Non waxed kerfs, Waxed wooden guides half inch tall. The bees don't seem to care what the guide is, they build comb how and where they want.

I had a friend engrave these boards for me with a partial comb pattern.
I was sure that the bees would find this to be perfect.

I installed 3 packages in the last 2 weeks all with these new engraved bars. I rubbed beeswax on the engraving just to make sure.
In all three hives, they completely ignored the pattern and built wherever they wanted to.








Beeswax rubbed on the pattern.



Cross comb



I did make the pattern with 4.9mm cells. I will try again with 5.1mm cells and see if that makes a difference. The bees that I tested this on were all package bees. No doubt raised on large cell foundation.

I think regardless of what kind of comb guide I use, I'll need to be vigilant with my early inspections to ensure they are building straight comb.

No comments:

Post a Comment