Friday, May 11, 2012

Peach Tree Swarm

I got a call tonight about a swarm of bees in town. I got the call just as the sun went down. I checked them out and decided to catch them tonight (tomorrow's schedule wouldn't allow it). They were on a peach tree about 4 feet off the ground. I know of 1 swarm a year within a block of this swarm for the last 3 years. One of them I caught out of an apple tree. It can bee seen here. The other was dead before I got to it. Sprayed by wasp killer by an ignorant neighbor. Large swarms all three.

I took sheet and a large basket. The bees were huddled pretty tight. I placed the sheet on the ground under the swarm. I held the basket directly under the swarm and shook the tree. Those girls were hanging on tight. I was amazed at how tight they were hanging on. I got most of them but there were still a bunch that would not shake off the tree. I scooped up some small clusters from the sheet with my hand and put them in the basket. It was dark so none of them were flying. I took a sting to my right pinky finger. Ouch. Didn't swell much though. We brushed as many bees from the tree as we could.

I drove the basket home and shook it into my rustic cedar TBH. I will place it at the cabin in the mountains in the next week or so. I'm curious how much and how good the honey will be with all the wild flowers up there.

Small video of swarm capture here:
http://youtu.be/oKMPvbSR1ow












No comments:

Post a Comment