Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cleanup of dead hives

I gathered all the boxes from the Haddock's place today so I could take them home and clean them up.
Hive1 had died at the end of last summer. The other (Hive2) died over the winter. They did not starve and they did not freeze. Mites? I know they had mites. There are still many dead mites on the bottom board of the hive.

As I got there, knowing that both hives were dead. I was surprised to see bees flying out of Hive 2. Lots of them. There were also about 50-60 bees flying around the entrance of Hive 3 (caught swarm). It took me a few minutes to figure out that the bees in Hive 3 had discovered the stores in Hive 2 and were robbing it.

I didn't have time to open Hive 3 to determine the level of their stores. Perhaps early next week I'll get a chance.

Also was able to order 2 packages of bees from Knight Family Honey that I'll be able to pick up on April 24th. Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment