Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Starved

Stopped by the Peczuh farm last night to check on the hive. Had noticed before that the cows had knocked it a bit (The corners of the coruplast roof were bent and the legs were off of the bricks I had them sitting on). I figured a calm night might be a good night to move the have back into place.
As I moved it I did not notice the expected hum from within. I took a flashlight and removed the bottom board to look up through the screen (the board was covered with wax bits and also dead mites). The screened bottom was completely covered with dead bees. I could hear nothing. I opened the top and inspected the hive. It's all lost. They have starved. All the stores were gone. Only 3 weeks ago they were making their cleansing flights in the warm weather. There is nothing yet for them to harvest. I should have looked inside then to check the level of honey so I could start feeding. I'll need to go check the other hives to make sure they don't starve as well.

Bummed!

No comments:

Post a Comment