Saturday, March 27, 2010

Schampel TBH

Took a peak in the Schampel TBH today. I was worried about honey stores as the Peczuh TBH had starved. There were plenty of bees coming and going. Again the gray polen. The honey combs on the south end of the hive were gone. There were still 3+  bars full of honey (cross combed) on the North end.
The brood nest is very cross combed and I didn't really want to get into it anyway. I did pull out one bar (see photo) and noticed some white junk in several of the cells. Looked like cottage cheese almost. Not sure what that is. Disease? The bees were rather ornery (I think it was the breeze) so I closed her up (but not without taking a sting to the back of the right hand). I pulled the bottom board and found a bit of mold and also many dead mites. The mold isn't too bad and I didn't see any mold in the hive itself.
Left happy that they wouldn't starve.


No comments:

Post a Comment