Thursday, June 3, 2010

Crazy builders!

I knew the swarm I caught last week was big. I also knew they were busy just by observing the entrance. Interestingly they've propolized one of the entrance holes shut. I've got 3 3/4" holes on the front of the bottom box (no bottom entrance). I was amazed at how much comb they have built. 5 bars so far. About 80 percent of the length of the bar and down to the middle of the bottom box. Way cool. Never seen such huge combs. I was nervous about breaking the new comb as it was very heavy with nectar and pollen. I didn't take the time to look for the queen or even for eggs. The first 2 bars are a bit bur combed together. Also bur combed to the side. The next three are perfectly straight and not attached to the sides at all.
I had just visually spaced the 1" bars leaving a bee space between them. The ends of the hive a re a bit warped and the bars are only just long enough to reach. I wish they were 1/4" longer. It's possible they could slide 1 direction or the other and fall into the box. I guess once they propolize them in place, it won't be an issue. Happy bees. Happy beekeeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment