Monday, June 7, 2010

Surviving the heat (so far)

The last few days have been rather hot (mid 90s). This colony from a huge swarm has only been in the hive for 2 weeks now. I knew they were building large combs. I also knew they were filling them up as they were very heavy when I checked a few days ago. I was nervous that the heat might cause the heavy and very new combs collapse. The bees have been hanging out on the outside of the hive quite a bit during the heat of the day.

Hanging in the shade.


Early on they had (for whatever reason) decided to seal of 1 of they 3 entrance holes with propolis (far left hole - hard to see in picture). It was comical to sit and watch them during the day. The foragers would return with pollen or nectar and since the left hole had no bees around it, they would invariably try that entrance first. After finding it blocked on the inside, they would then crawl over to the middle hole to enter the hive. Last evening I poked a hole through the propolis with a stick and today they have cleaned it all up. They now have 3 fully open entrances. I don't have any other entrances to this hive. I am also worried about proper ventilation. My plan is to build a screened bottom board to replace the solid one that is in place now. I do not want to use a bottom entrance because of a theory I have about mites hitching rides back up into the brood nest after they drop. Hopefully I can get this built in the next couple of weeks. It's supposed to cool down again this weekend.



I peaked into the hive tonight to make sure none of the new comb had collapsed. It hadn't. whew! I had many aggressive bees come after me. Probably due to the time of night (dark) and the fact that all bees were home. There's no gentle way to open this hive up. I've poked my head in my KTBH at night and they barely seem to notice me.
They were not happy with me tonight. I find that I don't like the way this hive closes up. Seems I squish a few every time I put the lid on. I guess once I put the other supers on (like a true perone) I won't be in it as much (if at all) and it won't be an issue. I'm still amazed at the size if this comb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment