Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Long live the queen!

I inspected the Schampel TBH today. It's been a week since I put the new queen in and I wanted to see if they've released her. More importantly I wanted to see if they've accepted her.

I removed every comb looking for her but did not see her. The cage was empty so I know she was released. I saw no eggs and no larva. There were still quite a few capped brood cells. All other queen cells had been opened up from the side. I took this as a good sign that the queen had been accepted and had removed all rival queens. After going through all 7 combs and not seeing her, I decided to have another go as I put them all back into place. Found her on the 4th bar. Busy crawling around.  I'm assuming she hasn't taken her mating flight yet. She is only 1 week old. I'll check back in another week and I expect to see eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment