Sunday, May 12, 2013

Food Bank Hive Struggling

The Rustic hive at the food bank has no activity outside.
I had inspected a few weeks ago to find spotty brood.
Someone had also been giving the hive a good whack with a garden hoe. Time to move the hive.

This colony was my biggest, most productive colony last year.
I didn't harvest last fall but pulled 32 lbs off this spring (still leaving more than enough for the dwindling population.



Hoe marks

This space was packed full of honey


weird line through comb - front

'
weird line through comb - back

They had moved under the follower board and continued building all the way to the end of the hive. Perfect straight honey comb.

One had a weird almost horizontal line through it on both sides. ???

I brought it home yesterday after finding a bunch of bees inside (small cluster on about 4 combs - virtually no brood).
I checked this afternoon and found the queen and a handful of growing larva.

Requeen? Worth saving? Diseased? Putting my other colonies at risk?

No comments:

Post a Comment