Monday, May 20, 2013

Patterson split

I went to the Patterson farm to split that hive. He is going to purchase a TBH from me (including half of the split - with the queen).

Upon going through the hive, I found lots of capped brood and lots of eggs, but no uncapped brood. It took me a while to figure out what had happened. We did find the queen. We also found empty queen cups and 1 queen cell that was hatched. I figured they swarmed a little over a week ago. She had quit laying (no open brood). The new queen has already mated and is laying.

There were still enough bees to split so I divided up the assets.
I put the queen, a little capped brood, a bar of eggs, some pollen and most of the honey in the old hive and put it in a new location. I left a bar of eggs, a little honey,a bunch of pollen and the rest of the capped brood in the old location.

I'll check on them in a week to see how they are adjusting. I expect to find larva in the old hive (new location) and queen cells in the new hive (old location).

No comments:

Post a Comment