Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sun Barrel Hive swarm install update

I peaked in the hive after work tonight to see how they were. Looked good. They were clustered on the top and on the bars. I'm a bit worried that they'll start building comb from the lid instead of from my bars. I guess I'll watch for a day or two to see what they do. Quite often ideas that are brilliant in my own head are less than impressive to the bees.

I put a queen "includer" over the entrance hole to hopefully prevent them from absconding. There are a few other bee size holes in the hive that I plugged up for now. The hive still has the smell of the wax/oil/turpentine finish that I put on it a week or so ago. I hope the smell doesn't drive them away.
The nasty weather today (and predicted for the next couple of days) should keep them inside and hopefully building comb (and building it where I want it).













No comments:

Post a Comment